Sunday, May 31, 2009

North Carolina Remembered

This is Shirley and Howard Braxton, they are the couple who has the 'Bigg Bible' that belonged to William Braxton, Howard is my 4th Cousin once removed. They showed us all around the area and took us to all the 'Quaker" or Friends Meeting houses and to all the graveyards. Howard and his sister still own the home that his line of the family inherited.
This is John and Judy Braxton, they were the ones who knew all about the Braxton history. They were both born a Braxton, yep, a Braxton married a Braxton. They are 4th cousins 1 x removed just as I am to them. When you get Howard, Judy, John and I together, you are looking at all of us being related as 4th cousins 1 x removed. They don't have TV or a computer, so we just call each other, but I don't think anyone knows more of the family history than Judy knows!
This is me, standing in front of the Braxton Monument in the Friends Cemetery. When I went back there, it was amazing how much I felt apart of the family and the land. It was a really cool feeling of 'going home'. I wished my dad had it all together in his mind, because he would have loved to go and visit.




2 comments:

Lisa Henderson said...

That is to bad that Grandpa couldnt go enjoy his family. Im glad you are making connections though!

Mark and/or Lisa said...

Cool. That's my name too!