Monday, March 22, 2010

Surgery

March 22, 2010: Today I went in to surgery at 8:00 AM. I was asleep before the surgical room. They couldn't find a vein for the IV until after four tries. Surgery took 5 hours. Recovery room was for 2 hours. The doctor said that everything went perfect. There were two incisions for the surgery. A small one on my right side. It was through this that the doctor inserted an artificial peace of cartilage between my L4 and L5 vertebrae. I was then rolled onto my stomach while under anesthesia and the main 4 inch incision was made in the center of my back over the L4/L5 area. It was through this incision that the doctor cleaned out my spinal canal to correct a major restriction in the spinal cord. This restriction was causing pain to occur in my right leg for the last six months on an ever increasing basis. Following the cleaning, the doctor connected my L4 and L5 vertebrae with two screws and a rod all made out of titanium. This has put my spine back in alignment without restrictions in the spinal cord. The basic problem was that my L5 vertebrae was not in alignment and you could actually see the difference in x-rays when I stood straight and bent over that the vertebrae was moving. This action was causing the body to react and put down bone spurs to try to strengthen the area. Unfortunately, some of these were in the spinal canal area and caused the pinching or restriction of the cord. With the artificial cartilage inserted in the front and the screws and rod now in the back, my spine is now back in alignment and not loose anymore. The doctor is predicted that tomorrow the pain in my legs will be gone. He is also predicting that my back will feel like somebody hit me in the middle of my back with a baseball bat. I know he is right on that so I am hoping when my surgery pain is over, which could take several weeks, I will be pain free.

After surgery my pain level was an 8/10 when I woke up but now that I am back in my room and on pain medication it is 2. The physical therapist came and I took a small walk around the room with pain at level 2. The doctor just came in while I was writing this and tested my leg strength. It is already stronger than before the surgery suggesting the spinal cord and nerves were repaired well. He predicted that tomorrow may be a more painful day as the local anesthetics from the surgery wear down. We will take it one day at a time.

That's today's report as transcribed by my nurse Larry.

1 comment:

Lisa Henderson said...

we are thinking of you...keep us posted!