Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Soapboax

I love to serve people, almost to the point, I never take time for myself. Case in point here goes. I AM the staff TRAINER (only) for the Orange Regional Family History Center, that in and of itself is almost a full time job. I have spend the last 3 days cleaning out and organizing my 'stuff' from the ORFHC that I use to make new Staff Training Notebooks for the new people. I'm down there most days of the week training.

Beth McCarty is the DIRECTOR
Lucine Fox is the PATRON SERVICES COORRIDINATOR
Daniel Bartosz is the TECHINICAL SERVICES COORIDINATOR
Caroline is the Staff Trainer.

It's not my job to be the first person every single staff member calls when something goes wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But thats exactly what happens. I get 3 to 4 calls a day sometimes about things that aren't my responsibility. "Caroline the internet doesn't work, what should be do?" "Caroline, I can't find this film, where should I look?", "Caroline, this patron needs to talk to you, I don't know what he's talking about...".

Today, I have just had it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not my job to find a substuitute for the entire 87 person staff when they can't make it! But, who do they call- Caroline! Today a guy who works on the Saturday 1-5 shift called into the Wednesday morning 9-1 shift and directed the person who answers the phone to call ME! There are 3 people to call before I am called! Why doen't they call their own subs? That's what I train them to do. Lucine Fox is the person who is in charge of subs.

Don't anyone just tell me to say NO! You can't say NO to some poor imbicile on the other end of the phone who doesn't have a lick of responsibility in their bones! I guess you get what you pay for, these are all volunteers, but so what, so am I.

5 comments:

Lisa Henderson said...

I wont tell you to say no....

But I will tell you to say...."Gee, thats to bad you cant be there, be sure to find a sub and if you cant the perfect person to call and let know would be...."

OR

"Hmmm, you know thats not really my area of responsibility, but you could try so and so at (phone number).

Just like in parenting....if you give in and fix the problem they will never learn to do it themselves. Just become a phone directory where they get shuffled to the right person and eventually they will get the picture :)

SLO Rober said...

Frustrating I understand. But look on the bright side, they love you and know you can get the job done.

SLO Rober said...

Let's hope none of those imbeciles are reading your blog...
awkward.

Mark and/or Lisa said...

Being good at what you do is a blessing and a curse ;)

Sara said...

I love Lisa's suggestions!