Tuesday, December 23, 2008

FIRE!

Don't panic, there really isn't a fire.

I have suspected that for 33+ years of marriage, Larry IS Caroline deaf. It's so sad when you think you are going to spend the rest of eternity with someone who doesn't listen to you, or even acknowledge you.

When Larry talks to me, even across the house, I try to acknowledge him by saying something like: OK, really, your kidding, mmmm..., wow, thanks for letting me know, I'm sorry about that, what are you going to do?... the list is endless. Even if I can't think of something to say, I grunt, or go mmmm, or uh, huh.

Not so my husband. I was talking to him about something important to me today when he went off into the other room. It wasn't a real heart to heart conversation, so it was OK for him to wander. But I keep talking and then I ask a very important question and..................................I ask a very important question and.........................................I ask a very important question louder and......................then I yelled FIRE! You should have seen him come running! So, I guess I am destined to find my very imortant outlet for talking to the women I know. Or, my Bishop, but he is just like Larry and doesn't know how to "bounce the conversation back and forth''. Maybe it's just that most men are that way, but I have actually met some who were not. Why couldn't I have fallen in love with one of those?

3 comments:

Lisa Henderson said...

Because then you would have other complaints about that man who might have that one strength that comes with 5 other weakness that Dad doesnt have!

Sorry to disappoint since I think I married almost the perfect man...he does the same thing! He listens and hears the words but most of the time doesnt internalize the meaning or impact of what Im saying and does not know how to sound attentive. Usually I just make fun of it by responding for him, "Gee Lisa that must be frustrating..." He then gets the clue to tune in, or I just have a really great conversation with myself! :)

Mark and/or Lisa said...

Thats a good trick...hopefully Lisa doesn't see this post ;)

Sara said...

That is too funny Caroline. My dad does the same thing when we talk on the phone. He'll tell me about everything going on but when I start to tell him about us, well... I've lost him. Not even listening. Usually ends up, "Well, that's nice. Gotta go, bye." Next time I'll yell fire and see if that wakes him up! :)