Thursday, April 23, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me

Today I am 57 years old. I feel pretty good for an old lady. I'm "working" now and making some money. Today I am cleaning my house. Tonight, I will pick up Larry from LAX, he has been in Texas. Tomorrow night we will go out to dinner for my birthday celebration. I was going to order some clothes from Lands end, but on Monday, Larry had to call out an air conditioner guy because our Air didn't work. We spent $11,000 of our retirement on a new Air condition/Heater system. So I won't be buying anything. And tomorrow we will go to Black Angus because we have a 2 for 1 coupon.

I thought about why I used to let my kids have a 'free from work' birthday. I made it a habit that they never had to do any work at home on their birthdays. I guess it was always something I wanted in my own life. Growing up, I never remember a day when I wasn't cleaning the house or making dinner. I felt like a slave growing up and although it was my job to teach my kids how to work, and every child will think they are slaves if their moms make them work, I wanted them to feel like a queen or king at least once a year on their special day.

Once in a while my kids would try to do that for me, but I could never really enjoy it very much because of all the guilt I would feel. So, I'm back to cleaning and washing.

7 comments:

Pam said...

Sissy- Happy Birthday! You are as beautiful as you were when you were 17. Ok- maybe my sight hasn't been the same since my cornial eye transplant. No- really you will always be beautiful to me. At least more beautiful than I am- and that is a b-day gift all in itself.

PS- I bought you a Hawaiin cabanna boy. I just can't find a suitecase big enough to bring him home.

SoCal Rogers said...

First- HAPPY BDAY. Second- I am so glad your blog is not private any longer. I like being to see when you upate your blog. I love see it.

Hope you enjoyed your birthday. I love you!

Mark and/or Lisa said...

Happy Bday Mom. Nice blog background btw.

Lisa Henderson said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry to hear about the AC unit but at least it will help with all your old lady hot flashes :) Just kidding. really I know it was your birthday but thanks for cheering me up on the phone yesterday!

Larry and Leah said...

Happy Birthday to you! Today Mom and I are going to the Temple and out for her birthday dinner! Doesn't get in better than that.

SLO Rober said...

Happy Birthday mom. Ditto on the blog, it looks really nice.

Sara said...

Well, I hope you had a fabulous b-day! And 57 is young! My parents are totally older than you :).